You’ve asked around, and you’ve got the names of a few therapists in Miami, Brickell, Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, or Doral. You’ve checked out their websites. They all mention a free consultation and everyone seems pretty nice. Their prices are similar, too.
So how do you decide which therapist to start working with?
It’s a tough choice to pick a stranger that you’re going to pour your heart out to in counseling. How to do you know which is the best one for you? If the therapist that you’re considering offer a free phone consult, go ahead and schedule it. It’s the best way to get them on the phone so you can interview them.
What questions should you ask a therapist you’re considering working with?
You’re probably thinking, “God, I have to interview them?!” And the answer is yes, you do because you want to make sure that they’re a good fit for your needs. It’s also an opportunity to talk about cost (and negotiate it). Here are some questions to ask when you’re shopping for a psychologist in Miami or the surrounding areas of Brickell, Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, and Doral.
- What’s your level of education?
- Are you licensed? If yes, for how long? If no, who supervises you?
- You can check their license on this website.
- What are your areas of expertise?
- If you’re calling a large group practice, ask who might be a good fit for your particular situation and schedule a call with that person.
- Check out our providers’ areas of expertise here.
- What’s your preferred philosophy/approach for helping? If the answer doesn’t make sense, ask for more details.
- Do you accept insurance or are you an out-of-network provider?
- What are your fees?
- This where things can get uncomfortable for people because most aren’t used to discussing rates with a medical provider. In this day, the insurance handles the money stuff. But in the mental health field, more of us are opting out of accepting insurance. So be prepared to talk money and negotiate.
- If you can’t afford the rates, ask about if they have sliding scale slots.
- How do sessions work? Length of time, frequency, etc.?
- Have you ever gone to therapy?
The best therapist for you fits and feels like your favorite pair of jeans.
Two other important points: Look up the therapist’s (or their supervisor’s) name and license here to make sure they don’t have any outstanding complaints against them. Lastly, when all the info (particularly the price) starts to look the same, just go with your gut. Pick the person that you clicked with best over the phone and sounded the most interested in you and your situation. You want to work with someone that makes you feel comfortable, regardless of office hours, years of experience, location, or cost.
Your well-being is priceless.
We hope this helps you find the right therapist in Miami or its surrounding areas of Brickell, Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, and Doral. If you’re looking for counseling to help with dating and relationships, anxiety, depression, self-confidence, dysfunctional family members, or psychological testing, you can read more about how we can help here. If life’s got you stuck, I hope you’ll call us at (305) 501-0133 or click here to schedule a free 15-minute Clarity Consult. We are happy to hear about what’s going on and help you find a good solution.