These doubts and uncertainty loom over you all day, everyday. And you start to imagine some extreme end-of-world scenarios. That’s the thing – you know are these are ridiculous, but you can’t seem to stop yourself. You’ve tried thinking positively, ignoring these thoughts, reading self-help books, yoga, meditation, and daily affirmations. And nada. You only feel better after doing things like:
- Checking the doorknob and stove for the 9th time
- Reorganizing the books on the shelf by height and color
- Washing and re-washing your hands in a specific routine
- Re-reading that quarterly report, or
- Re-writing your daily to-do list
You realize it’s irrational, but you have to do it anyway. It’s the only way you feel reassured like you’re “right” again. Lately, though, these thoughts and actions have begun to interfere more in your life. Friends and family are getting increasingly frustrated with you. At work, your boss has said you’re a bit too rigid and set in your ways. Deep down inside, you know they’re right and you’re getting worried.